A two-time Olympic rower and head coach of Cooperstown Crew will be starting a new indoor rowing program in partnership with the Oneonta Boys and Girls Club.
Andrea Thies, along with several accomplished rowers and coaches from Cooperstown Crew, will hold a free rowing clinic for high school age girls and boys from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the Oneonta Boys and Girls Club on River Street on Friday April 11. According to Thies, no previous experience is necessary.
Thies says the rowing program will provide opportunity for high school age students and their parents that are curious about the sport of rowing to learn from top-notch athletes.
She says rowing is also one of the best total body workouts so if students already play other sports, this is a chance to learn a new sport while cross training.
For the students that join the rowing program, they first learn to row using rowing ergometers at the Oneonta Boys and Girls Club. The goal, for the students that complete the program, is to row this summer on the water and to be racing this fall at regattas across New York.
For more information visit the Club at 70 River St. in Oneonta or contact Petrea Delberta at 432-1133 . Information is also available at www.oneontaboysandgirlsclub. com.
- Ruth Rathbun Druse RICHFIELD SPRINGS -- Friends and family of Ruth Druse are invited to a service of the Burial Office and Holy Communion at St. John's Episcopal Church, Main Street, Richfield Springs. The service will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 18, 2013, and will be officiated by the Rev. John Bartle.
- Milford softball clinches TV-East tie Five players had extra-base hits for host Milford, which overcame an early 3-0 deficit to clinch at least a tie for the Tri-Valley League East Division title with a 6-4 win over Worcester on Monday.
- Ann Catharine Casey NISKAYUNA -- A Memorial Service in Celebration of the Life of Ann Catharine Casey will be offered at 2 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, 11 May 2013, in Christ Church, Cooperstown, with the Rev'd Mark A. Michael, rector, officiating. The Committal Service and inurnment will follow in the Ecumenical Columbarium in the Church-yard at Christ Church.
- Elizabeth Jane Hathaway McManus FLY CREEK -- Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Hathaway McManus, age 80, passed away Saturday morning, April 27, 2013, at Otsego Manor.
- Theodore E. 'Ted' Lamb COOPERSTOWN -- Theodore E. "Ted" Lamb, a native of Cooperstown who will be remembered for his faithful devotion to his beloved village, died Friday morning, April 26, 2013, at his home on Linden Avenue. The husband of Celia B. Lamb, Ted was 80 years-old.
- Police: CV-S student made bomb threat A bomb threat overheard Tuesday morning by a student at Cherry Valley-Springfield Central School District led to the building being cleared and searched by state police starting at 9:30 a.m., state police at Richfield Springs said.
- Julius Earll Waller (Jerry) CHERRY VALLEY -- Julius Earll Waller (Jerry), 96, died peacefully March 27, 2013, at Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, his family at his side.
- Milford Earth Fest becoming regional event
- Sports Roundup
- Defense, hitting strengths for Wildcats The girls have not played a game yet, but the Milford softball team already has a lot going for itself.
- More inactive Headlines