Thank you to all of the businesses, organizations, and residents in the Cooperstown/ Northern Otsego County Relay for Life region who made Paint the Town Purple a spectacular and colorful event on Friday, May 11. The villages of the area were certainly “bloomin’ with hope for a cure”!
Dawne Dietz co-chairs
Paint the Town Purple Scholarship founder says thanks
The Second Leadership Scholarship, founded by me and administered by the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce, thanks the individuals and business donors for not only their generous financial support but their belief in the purpose of this scholarship.
The following have made the launching of this possible and take it to its second year: $500.00+ Rich McCaffery, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); $100.00+ Grace Kull, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Janice Eichler, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Samuel Wilcox, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Anne Keith, Cooperstown (2011 &2012); Bob & Christine Amos, Oneonta (2011);Claire Kepner, Fly Creek (2011 &2012); The Meadowlark Inn, East Springfield, George & Tina Macaluso (2011 & 2012); Cooperstown College Services, Jason Tabor, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Martha & Paul Clarvoe, Hartwick (2011 & 2012); Leatherstocking Cooperative Insurance Company, Philip Lewis, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Mary Wright, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Jeanne & John Dewey (2012); $50.00+ Dan Crowell, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Jeff & Susan O’Handley, Hartwick (2011); Starry Night Bed & Breakfast, Marcia Kozubek, Oneonta (2011 & 2012);Deborah Taylor, Hartwick (2011 & 2012); Cooperstown B&B, Linda & John Smirk; (2012); Irene Ekstrom, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Erin McKay, Cooperstown (2011 & 2012); Lyoncher B & B, Cooperstown, Tom & Jean Lyon (2012); Patricia Szarpa, Cooperstown (2012); $25+ John & Maureen Rowley, Cooperstown (2011); Jim & Carol Roe, Laurens (2011); Jim & Teresa Donley, Cooperstown (2012); Central NY Mobile Marketing, Susan O’Handley (2012) and Mary Beth Dow, Hartwick (2012).
This scholarship recognizes a student embarking upon a career focused on Volunteerism, Community Development/Organizational Leadership, or hospitality/ tourism either with a private enterprise, not-for-profit organization or government entity.
This is a worthy initiative for the Cooperstown Chamber as it supports the organizations mission of collaboration toward advancing the business, cultural and civic welfare of the greater Cooperstown community.
This scholarship purpose emphasizes the value of leadership and volunteerism and how this dimension is crucial toward overall community development. It also positions the Chamber with a commitment to “growing” future community leaders.
Also thanks is extended to the scholarships first recipient Sarah Dewey who officiatedat this years program and presented the check to this years recipient, Rachael Fort, a 2012 graduate of Cooperstown High School and also to Brewery Ommegang for again hosting and donating the reception and providing their superb hospitality.
Donations to this scholarship are accepted at any time by contacting the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce at 547-9983 or www.cooperstownchamber.org.
- Our Readers' Opinions Regarding the April 4 letter from Margaret McGown et al, I understand why the letter's authors are disappointed with the decision of Otsego Land Trust to discontinue renting private dock space. All concerned should understand that we did not take any actions without careful consideration and ultimate approval by our Board of Directors.
- Please Click Here We read, with great interest, the article regarding Brookwood Point and the statement by Mr. Harry Levine that the Otego Land Trust is in need of donors to keep up the property and raise enough money to match the Historic Byways grant.
- In Our Readers' Opinions The organizers of the seventh annual Empty Bowls fundraiser would like to thank everyone who volunteered, donated and attended our event on March 2.
- Our readers' opinions I find myself in the awkward position of asking for your vote for the unopposed position of village trustee for a three-year term in the March 19 election.
- Please Click Here I was pleased to see that there will be paid parking on Main Street next summer. Now, we might finally find a way to repair our old streets.
- In our readers' opinions Why the hullabaloo over my Redskins?
- OUR READERS' OPINIONS
- Our Readers' Opinions The name Redskins has been used with pride and respect since the 1920s. It has been twisted to make many feel that they are racial and not respectful.
- OUR READERS' OPINIONS
- Our Readers' Opinions: Dec. 20, 2012 The Cooperstown Friends of Football Committee would like to thank everyone that helped support us in 2012. Your generous contributions at the Hartwick Breakfast and other fundraisers allowed us to provide the players, cheerleaders and coaches with individual and team photos and buttons, bag lunches for away games, a homecoming game under the lights, awards banquet, modified pizza party, team gifts, and team video.
- More Letters Headlines